Washington, District of Columbia

HomeDistrict of ColumbiaWashington

Tad Farrington

Your Personal Injury Clam May be Barred by Contributory Negligence

In Washington DC the Doctrine of Contributory Negligence may bar your right to recover when you have suffered a personal injury. Contributory Negligence means that if you were slightly at fault, even as little as 1% at fault in causing your injuries, then you cannot recover any of your damages. Even thought the other person involved was 99% at fault, your claim is 100% gone. Let me give you…

Mark Schofield

Understanding the District's Court System

For many personal injury victims, one of the more daunting aspects of resolving their personal injury matter is retaining an attorney to help them with their case. Often, personal injury victims believe that they can wade their way through the complex world of litigation on their own, however, the rules of litigation and civil procedure often hamper their efforts. The District of Columbia is…

Staff Writer

Wrongful Death Personal Injury Claims in Washington, D.C.-Act Fast!

If a person is killed as a result of negligence that occurs in Washington, D.C., the heirs of the deceased person can bring a wrongful death claim. The claim must be brought by the personal representative of the decedent’s estate. However, the claim must be brougt quickly since the wrongful death claim must be brought within one year after the death of the person injured. Because of the one…

Staff Writer

PIP Claims For Personal Injuries in Washington, D.C.

The law in Washington D.C. for personal injury car accident victims regarding PIP Benefits (Personal Injury Protection Benefits) is extremely complicated because it requires accident victims to make an election between PIP benefits and filing a civil lawsuit within 60 days of the accident. If the PIP Benefits are elected by the car accident victim, then the car accident victim loses his/her…

Staff Writer

Car Accidents and the Elderly

An article in Sunday’s Seattle times examines the need for new driver’s license renewal requirements as America’s elderly population increases. The article singles out DC as one of three states requiring road tests for DL renewal after a certain age.The number of crashes per miles traveled starts out high in the teenage years before falling and staying fairly level from ages 30 to 65, according…